Monday, November 2, 2009

A Fall Feast


My day-after-Halloween plans were ambitious. I began my day rejoicing in the reopening of Community Food and Juice, and had my favorite brunch of theirs (or perhaps, in all of NYC). However - I was not a fan of the Mexican coffee (coffee with cinnamon, kahlua, and tequila), which I got with whipped cream...this turned out to be its downfall. The whipped cream eventually dissolved, but left an oddly congealed, fatty layer on top of the coffee, which was as unappetizing as it sounds.

On a more positive note, upon returning to my apartment, I began cooking up a feast of dinner party foods in an array of fall-inspired flavors. I had six friends over (pretty much the maximum number that will fit around the table!), and this is what I served them:

Spinach and artichoke dip (paired with triscuits and pita chips)

Chicken and buttermilk+chive dumplings, Zucchini+Pesto Orzo, roasted sweet potatoes, and cornbread.
For drinks I served a hot spiced cider spiked with whiskey. And for dessert I served them the pumpkin cupcakes from earlier this week (still delicious!) with some ice cream that my friend Ilana brought over: brown sugar, and oatmeal cookie. I think it was a success overall! The chicken and dumplings was a little on the salty side for me, but I think I let the stock reduce a little too much? Definitely something to try again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment