Sunday, February 7, 2010

7 words, Sounds Like...

Ra Ra Riot and The Antlers!

 Ra Ra Riot at BAM, 02.05.2010

These two bands (only one of which is really a Brooklyn band) played the BAM Sounds Like Brooklyn festival on Friday night.  I hadn't seen Ra Ra Riot since 2007 or 2008, when they played at Castaways in Ithaca and it was pretty empty.  This was a totally different situation, and they've really grown as a performing band in the past few years.  They were peppy and enthusiastic, almost causing a few on-stage collisions actually.  Basically, they presented the opposite mood onstage as their opening band, The Antlers.

As I mentioned in my Best of 2009 wrap-up, I loved The Antlers' album Hospice, in all of its raw, emotionally painful glory.  Their live performance was powerful to say the least - you feel the weight of every sorrowful and reflective note and word as it exits Peter Silberman's mouth.  Even if you were to not focus on the lyrics themselves, his tone communicates it all.  It was a little overwhelming, and I was somewhat relieved that they performed first because otherwise I would have walked out of BAM feeling like someone stomped all over my insides.

Despite a potential for depression, I strongly recommend seeing The Antlers if they're playing anywhere near you.


No comments:

Post a Comment