mom-proofing your apartment vs. baby-proofing your house
mom-proofing (in the case of me):
- finding a place to put 42 empty beer bottles that I still want to take to refund my bottle deposit (it's $2, whatever)
- making photos of my family (namely her) more prominent
- the flipside to this is hiding "incriminating" photographs, including my favorite polaroid of eric and robert
- attempting to hide anything that might start a conversation (failed attempt. she will always find something to comment on: why did you move the rolling rack with your fancy dresses on it? because i felt like it... oh, is that your bike? do you ride it? not in the winter... i see you've rearranged your furniture. wow, you have eyes etc.)
- concealing 50% of the contents of my bathroom because she clearly always has something to say about the things I use
I think about all of this effort in preparation for a 2-day visit, and feel obliged to compare it to what she must have had to do before I showed up:
- eliminating sharp corners
- blocking off electrical plugs, cords, etc.
- using those gates to block off the stairs
Ok...it turns out, I don't know very much about baby-proofing an apartment...I'll just assume that I did more. ha.