Thursday, December 2, 2010

Festival of Gifts, Night 2

Here we are, Chanukah night #2.  The first night of Chanukah ended up being not-so-great, as I found myself battling a minor round of food poisoning at around 2am.  But, I went to work and I'm feeling pretty good now.  Positivity for Chanukah!!

I feel like I'm just playing catchup on the last couple of months as I severely fell off the blog-wagon.  To touch briefly on two of the albums that dropped recently:

All Day, Girl Talk
aka, the 3rd installment in the easiest party mix ever.  I strongly feel that this album gets better as it goes on.  I'm not terribly attached to some of the earlier samples, which has a lot to do with it.  Also, I feel like "Wake Up" could have been used in a greater way.  Does it sound like I'm speaking gibberish because you haven't downloaded the album for free yet?  Well, why don't you go do that?  And, then you can also nerd-out and read the list of samples afterwards to test yourself.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West
I would like to take a brief moment of Chicago pride here, prior to talking about Kanye himself, and instead talk about how I *love* Top Chef All Stars w/ Anthony Bourdain joining the judges panel, and the Chicago season winning the quickfire??  And then how Mike Isabella got all snarky about them just making "sausage and mustard" but he made pasta.  
Ok, I'm done with that now.  Onto this epically insane Kanye album, post-TaylorSwift/Beyonce moment, and into the era when he like, makes movies and stuff*.  I do really like the album, though I've listened to it maybe 4 times now and I still feel like I don't really know any songs aside from Power and Runaway.  Maybe it will take some time to sink in, but so far I feel like it has much more of an impact as a whole album rather than carving it down into individual tracks.

*Speaking of bands making movies, Arcade Fire collaborated with Spike Jonze to make a really amazing music video.  At first seems really old school Spike Jonze with the kids riding around, but it becomes really powerful.  If you haven't watched it, you really should.

No comments:

Post a Comment