Friday, December 3, 2010

Festival of Gifts: Night 3

Night #3 of Chanukah is upon us, and I'd like to actually talk about (shocker!) gifts.

For once in a blue moon, Chanukah is actually sort of far enough from my birthday that I could conceivably receive a separate Chanukah present from my birthday present (but I'm not holding my breath).  Something that is certain to not change this year, though, is my love of polar bears.  It seems my favorite (though highly aggressive) (and really really endangered) animal has become pretty trendy lately.  I don't know how I feel about this.  On the one hand, I want all of these things.  On the other hand, it fills me with that defensive "but I've always liked ____" feeling that always comes up when your favorite ___ goes mainstream.

Case in point: Urban Outfitters currently sells two polar bear sweaters:



There's also some killer polar bear wallpaper in (of course) a young girl's bedroom:


But really, as any real polar bear enthusiast would tell you, the best way to love a polar bear (aside from raising one from infancy and being able to hug it), is to shoot some of your holiday fund over towards rescuing them from those depressing commercials where a polar bear is standing on a melting icecap.

No comments:

Post a Comment