Friday, December 24, 2010

You were bright, like a new day

Last week, on a whim, I bought myself a ticket to see Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr play at Bowery Ballroom (they were opening for Bear Hands).  I showed up just in time to see (the) Tony Castles and there was practically no one in there.  I casually found myself right up front, in perfect position for the awesomeness that is the DEJrJr set design.  They play off the ridiculousness of their name perfectly.  It is all so kitschy and delightfully trashy to look at.  I mean, they have wooden letters with light bulbs spelling out JR JR bookending the stage.  It all stands in great contrast to the sincerity of their sweet lyrics about love and girls (and not car racing). 

"Skeletons" (from their upcoming LP) was a) great, and b) a fun group performance

Oh look, it's me at the bottom right of this photo.  Thanks, BrooklynVegan!

I'm off to the airport now to spend a week back in Chicago.  Yes!  So excited to see my friends and parents and get out of the city for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment