Saturday, April 2, 2011

it's the end of an era, it's true*


LCD Soundsystem has the beats and the synths and a real genius in the way the songs build. This is all true. But what makes me come back to them time after time is James Murphy's lyrical genius. They have an inexplicable mastery of the repeated one-liner, and (oddly) poignant observations throughout their danceable songs. In honor of their retirement, this collection of my favorite lyrics is my own salute to LCD Soundsystem.

Life Lessons via James Murphy and LCD Soundsystem:
New York's the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent
--------
Just 'cause I'm shallow doesn't mean that I'm heartless
(Drunk girls)
Just 'cause I'm heartless doesn't mean that I'm mean
(Drunk boys)
Sometimes love gives us too many options
(Drunk girls)
Just 'cause you're hungry doesn't mean that you're lean
--------
Love is an open book to a verse of your bad poetry
And this is coming from me

----------
Talking like a jerk
Except you are an actual jerk

-----------
sound of silver talk to me
makes you want to feel like a teenager
until you remember the feelings of
a real life emotional teenager
then you think again
--------
I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
--------
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life
----------
If you're afraid of what you need
If you're afraid of what you need
Look around you, you're surrounded
It won't get any better
----------


* I absolutely refused to call this post "This is Happening" or any variation thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment