Sunday, April 3, 2011

you're so gullible but I don't mind

There are no words to adequately express the sheer joy and energy I felt seeing The Strokes again after all this time, in their hometown no less. In Julian's own words, they hadn't played a "legit show" here in "basically forever." They knew the significance of that show, to a sold out monster of Madison Square Garden, and they absolutely delivered. Sure, Julian apparently can't remember the lyrics/timing to some of their songs (no seriously, I Can't Win was a little weird. Last Night was kind of charming though).

Then of course, there was the major April Fools in the form of Elvis Costello joining in for Taken For a Fool, after already doing a 3-song opening set which everyone thought was the big surprise of the night. It was a definite shocker, and is the only thing that saved playing that song on April 1st from being exceedingly corny. Instead, it was sadly literal because we all got played.

Other highlights:
  • opening with "Is This It," directly into "Reptilia" (felt like "these are the songs that say the names of our first albums!")
  • "Under Control" was done really well - strikingly beautiful performance
  • Julian referring to "I Can't Win" as the opposite of Charlie Sheen.
Here are some (horrible quality) photos and a couple videos that I think capture it all:

Elvis Costello's 3-song opening set














and in case you haven't seen the Taken for a Fool clip anywhere (I didn't get a good one):

1 comment:

  1. So I was trying to figure out what form of "wear" to use in the phrase "wear out," and I stumbled across your blog. Then I saw a Hold Steady lyric as the title of your most recent post, and I knew I had to check it out. Hopefully I adequately explained my creepiness.

    Anyway, I'm really glad I got to see these guys at Lollapalooza last year. They had the same (awesome) stage set-up, and they played a ton off their first two records. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete